Friday, August 16, 2019

LUCIEN ALBRECHT PINOT GRIS

AP 90 PTS (8/15/2019)
Well, Leif Erikson and I had a pretty good day. Got a lot done. From beer, to wine, to cider, back to beer, some growlers, liquor, a tasting in the middle and back to beer, wine and spirits. A good day overall. By the end of the day, I had almost forgotten about some wine that needed to be tasted. I had this bottle of Alsacian Pinot Gris ready to be cracked into. 

Alsace: Alsace produces some incredible elligant traditional Pinot Gris' , Rieslings and Gewurtztraminers in the world. Nestled along the western banks of the Rhine River in the northeastern most corner of France, right along the German border, are rolling hills of lush green grapevines. These wines are so perfect that there's no spiciness in the Gris and not bitterness in the wurtz. Just "true                                                                                  grape" wines. 

I finally get home and dig into the 2017 Pinot Gris by Lucien Albrecht (Cuvee Romanus). A quick flick of the screw-cap and into a stemless it goes. On the nose is a very light lemon smell with something reminiscent to Lemon Pound Cake batter. Yep, took me a minute to figure that one out, but that's really exactly what I get. Now I'm really looking forward to this glass of wine!! That's almost exactly what I get on the whirl. Lemon Pound Cake Batter with a very slight oak spice finish. I really like this wine. The labels on these wines from Alsace never do them justice. Therefore, I encourage anyone reading this to pick up a bottle of a Pinot Gris from Alsace!! Just try it!! Well worth it, I think!. 

No comments:

Post a Comment